Saturday, June 25, 2011

notes from a jet plane: 6/25/11

I sat next to a pastor on an airplane today who "hated religion" and talked about how few Christians tithe.
He stated that my family was a "blessed family" because of the churches (with "well known" pastors) that we attend.
This (and other things I observed and have been thinking on) prompted this whole entry:

"We are not blessed because of being on the cutting edge of American Christianity,
not because we go to large suburban churches with well-known pastors or worship leaders.
Jesus (this guy-God- we are supposed to be following) said blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God. (Matt 5)


We are blessed because we are forgiven and free, our destiny is not tied down to the end of this world or the end of our lives.

If I had said I go to some "unknown" church or my parents do such-and-such what kind of reaction would I have gotten?

Because Jesus died we have power to have freedom in this life and beyond.

What defines us as being "radical"?
Just being out of the box? Not being caged?
What about our personal moment-to-moment lives doesn't line up with our big vision?
Making those "small" changes and taking a stance in our OWN personal lives - THAT is what is RADICAL.

What is this happiness about busting people out of religion?
What have we defined religion as and what have we mistaken for religion?

We have rejected all the rules and regulations that came with being a Christ follower in the name of freedom.
Jesus came to give us freedom,
but He didn't come to make us fit in or to make us rich or make us popular.
He came to tell us we would be the opposite!
Quite contrary to all the things we humans want...
We are asked to give up everything and take a narrow road.
Jesus came to be the authentic face of God. Someone who said and did what He said, contrary to the religious leaders.

The thing that gets to me, that I don't understand, is how people think-do they really think- they are walking the walk? Not just talking the talk?
Do they really think their actions and character are backing up their words?

Why does it seem like there are those who are only following the part of "true religion" that says to take care of orphans and widows?...

Sometimes when I'm feeling this strong discontent with these things I witness, I feel badly like I am just expecting people to be perfect(well-aware that no human, christian or otherwise, is perfect) and I am reminded that I am not perfect neither, and I get concerned that people will misconstrue what I am saying as judgment, but then I remember that Jesus- the very love and face of the Father-said "be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matt 5)

And about being "judgmental" -
The world doesn't have the truth, the commandments that we do. We are hypocrites not to follow what we know. We don't have excuses! The issue is when we see blinded to areas we have let pollution live and dwell. The second part of "true religion" is to keep oneself from being "polluted by the world".

That's not hard to understand!
Do we think it's hard to know what that really means because it's now "open to our interpretation"?
I think we over complicate God's words and pass comfortably over sections we would rather not let penetrate our souls.


We can talk about tithing and etc all day, but God said He desired mercy not sacrifice! Why does mercy need to come first?
Sacrifice is important, but it should flow out of a consecrated heart, not be done as a checklist.

God has always been about the heart. I know its about the inside and not just the outward expression. But, ultimately what we say and do is flowing out of our heart. That's a truth whether or not we like it! A fake can only fake for so long.


It's hard to swim against the flow... especially among those who should be of one mind.

No comments: