Saturday, January 15, 2011

Do SOMETHING Now

I started off this year by attending the Passion conference here in Atlanta.
(If you haven't heard about it-just go and thank me later;-))
One of my favorite parts is an area called DO SOMETHING NOW. It's filled with interactive exhibits of global causes represented. We give small amounts towards a huge goal to fund a huge need. TOGETHER WE BECOME A FORCE FOR GOOD!
It's amazing.
Anyway, this year, I gave to IJM (International Justice Mission) they go undercover into the brothels and rescue women and children. Everyone who gave had their picture taken and it was hung on this wall. Here is mine:

This photo is being used in my school's photo of the week. I was asked what made me give to this specific cause and it really got me thinking... here's what I wrote and I wanted to share it:

"When I entered the Do Something Now center at Passion2011, I was immediately drawn to the human trafficking area.

I knew I was going to give to the cause before I even walked through the exhibit area.

I believe the free people of the world have an obligation to help those who are bound and not turn away and choose ignorance.

All of us got together (Passion2011) because of Jesus Christ. His mission was to "proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners". By being apart of rescuing those in chains, I am making that my mission as well.

Giving to support a rescue mission for human trafficking victims in the Phillipines is the least I can do.

I gave because I want to be apart of something bigger than myself.


Every minute two more children are sold into slavery...

There are more slaves on our planet today than ever before in history.

That is a number so big, it seems impossible to change.

BUT, if together we can rescue even one... even one girl, we will change her entire universe...


to help go to IJM.org"



As I said before, Do Something Now's idea (slogan, if you want to label it that) is

"Together we are a force for good"

and literally, by the end of our days together, you could totally see how that is true.

It's NOT just a catch-phrase or slogan, even tho it sounds just nice. IT'S NOT, it really is true and it can be a REALITY!

That's an exciting idea and an exciting thing to be apart of!


No comments: